You’re in for a treat with this one—imagine a super moist chocolate sponge packed with sweet, nutty pralines, all topped off with a delightful maple glaze. This cake is seriously hard to resist!
- 2 ⅓ cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate soda
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk (I used soya) + 1 tsp vinegar
- ½ cup soya yogurt
- ½ cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup roasted pecans and almonds
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Start by making the pralines. Heat the caster sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until it melts and turns a rich golden caramel. No stirring until all the sugar dissolves. Pour this over the roasted nuts in a non-stick pan and allow it to cool before breaking or chopping into chunks.
- Time for the sponge! Preheat the oven to 340°F. Line and lightly grease a square baking dish.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar, setting it aside for 10 minutes until it thickens. Then, pour it into a large mixing bowl along with the other wet ingredients.
- Sift in the dry ingredients using a sieve and gently mix until just combined.
- Spread half of the cake batter in the pan. Top it with the pralines and a few extra chocolate chunks.
- Cover it with the remaining batter and sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake's center is set.
- As the cake nears the end of baking, mix the powdered sugar, milk, and maple syrup in a bowl until smooth to prepare the glaze.
- After baking, let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then poke holes in it.
- Pour the glaze over the top, ensuring it covers the cake completely.
- Let the glaze set for about 20 minutes before slicing and savoring every bite!
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!