Perfect, dense pound cake texture, but still with a light and not overly compact crumb. The texture and taste were like a commerical pound cake. I think this is a great cake to have with tea or coffee. Hubby raved. His only comment is that he would have like a lemon flavor. Lemon peel would be good along with the extract. This is a keeper for us! I couldn’t have been more pleased. Flavorful, with the ideal level of moistness, a result of getting the best of both worlds with the butter and shortening combination.
I made this recipe Christmas Eve. I followed it to the letter. All I can say is that it is out of this world good. This is the recipe I have been looking for all these years. The cold oven start gives it that good crusty outer layer. Fabulous.
Tip: take 1 cup strawberries, 1 c. sugar and one egg white, beat it until stiff and serve on top. VERY GOOD!
Country Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Do not preheat the oven. Grease 10 inch tube pan and line bottom with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, shortening, and sugar on low speed for 10 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, mixing well. Add the vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 1 hour. Remove to a cake rack and cool for at least 3 hours.
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!