Excellent, Extremely moist and with just the right amount of spices….It looks great, it tastes great and it’s really easy to make! a great way to use up excess apple butter just sitting in the ‘fridge.. For anyone who enjoys a good apple butter, you must definitely try this recipe.. It is worth buying the apple butter just to make the cake 😀 ,, The batter was thicker than I expected and I thought I made a mistake, but the result was a big hit with everyone.
This is perfect as written and there is no need to change a thing. Although not needed, I added a drizzle of caramel and it is wonderful with or without. I made this a while back for a senior citizen center, and everyone raved about it. My husband absolutely loves this, too. It’s a really good way to use up apple butter, too. I substitute different things like oat bran for the wheat bran, or walnuts for the pecans if I need to. It still turns out really good. Very happy that I found this recipe. It will be enjoyed often.
Apple Butter Spice Cake
Prep 25 m
Cook 40 m
Ready In 1 h 5 m
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole bran cereal or wheat germ
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- Prepare the topping by mixing together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped pecans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; add eggs one at a time, thoroughly beating each egg into the butter mixture before adding the next. Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ or bran cereal. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour cream; mix well after each addition.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan; sprinkle with half of the topping. Pour remaining batter into pan and top with the rest of the topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.