This recipe for Beef Shin with Mashed Potatoes and Carrots combines tender beef with flavorful vegetables for a satisfying meal. The meat is seasoned with salt, pepper, and rosemary, then browned to enhance its taste. The vegetables are sautéed and simmered with the meat in a rich broth made from red wine and beef stock. The mashed potatoes are creamy and seasoned with milk, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. The carrots are cooked with butter, sugar, and vegetable broth, adding a hint of sweetness. The dish is brought together with a delicious sauce made from the strained broth. This recipe offers a comforting and hearty meal that is sure to please.
For the meat:
- 1 bunch of soup vegetables
- 2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 slices of beef shank, ready to cook, with bones, á ca. 300 g
- ground pepper
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 400 ml beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pimento seeds
- 600 g floury potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For the carrot:
- 600 g carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 150 ml vegetable broth
For the puree:
- 150 ml lukewarm milk
- 30 g butter
- nutmeg freshly grated
- Clean the soup vegetables and cut them into coarse pieces. Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Rinse the leg slices, pat them dry, remove the marrow and place them in a roasting pan. Season the leg slices with salt, pepper and rosemary and brown them on both sides in the fat. Remove and set aside. Add the vegetables, onions and garlic and sauté, turning. Stir in the tomato paste, let it color briefly and deglaze with the wine. Pour in the stock, add the meat, bay leaf and allspice and simmer over medium heat with the lid half closed for 1 1/2-2 hours. If necessary, add a little more water.
- In the meantime, peel, wash and quarter the potatoes and cook in boiling salted water for about 30 minutes.
- Peel the shallot and the carrots, cut them into 1 cm thick rings and sweat them in a pot with melted butter. Sprinkle the sugar, pour the broth and steam the vegetables over medium heat with the lid closed for about 15 minutes. Then season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes, let them steam out, press them through a potato ricer and blend them with the milk and butter to a smooth mash. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Remove the finished braised leg slices from the broth, strain it as desired, passing the vegetables through the sieve, boil the broth again and thicken with a little flour butter (flour and butter kneaded together in a 1:1 ratio) if necessary.
- Arrange the puree with the carrot vegetables and meat on warmed plates and serve drizzled with the sauce.
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!