- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, all chopped up
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- A dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 cups of chopped broccoli florets
- 1 large carrot, sliced up or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese (that's around 2 heaping cups)
- Optional but awesome: Homemade croutons for serving
- Get a big pot or Dutch oven and melt the butter over medium heat. Toss in the chopped onion, add a pinch of salt and a few twists of black pepper. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until the onion is nice and soft. Add the garlic and cook it for an extra minute. Sprinkle in the flour, and whisk like a champ for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the flour gets all golden and toasty. Slowly pour in the milk while you keep on whisking.
- Now, add the veggie broth, broccoli, carrot, and that mustard. Give it all a good stir, and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the broccoli gets tender.
- Little by little, toss in the cheese, stirring each time until it melts in all creamy-like. Season it just how you like it, and if you're feeling fancy, serve it up with those croutons. Yum!
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!