Transform your kitchen into a sourdough bread haven with this simple recipe. While making your sourdough bread requires some patience, the actual effort involved is minimal. And when you taste that final loaf, you’ll be amazed at how wonderful it is!
- 100 grams active sourdough starter
- 394 grams bread flour
- 250 grams water
- 8 grams kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rice flour, or as needed
- Gather all ingredients.
- Place starter into a bowl. Add bread flour, water, and salt; mix until well blended and sticky.
- Cover with aluminum foil and let stand for 4 hours at 70 to 75 degrees F (21 to 24 degrees C).
- Uncover dough and use wet hands to fold it over onto itself three to four times. Cover again with foil and let ferment for 2 more hours.
- Generously dust a proofing basket (banneton) with rice flour.
- Scrape dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Shape into a ball with a smooth, unbroken surface, using just enough flour on the surface to keep it from sticking. Place dough into the prepared basket with the smooth side down. Pinch the rougher edges on the surface together toward the center to smooth them while maintaining a round ball shape.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours to slow the fermentation process.
- Remove the banneton from the refrigerator. Let sit in a warm spot until dough springs back slowly and retains a slight indentation when poked gently with a finger, about 3 to 5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dust surface of dough with flour. Gently invert the banneton over the center of the baking sheet and flip dough out onto the parchment paper. Gently brush off excess rice flour. Score top of dough about 1/8-inch deep with a sharp knife to create a shallow slit running across the center. Mist the entire surface lightly with water.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven until beautifully browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer loaf to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing.
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!