Get ready to fiesta with these margarita cupcakes! They are the perfect dessert for Cinco de Mayo (or any fun celebration!) The cupcakes have a zesty lime flavor with a kick of tequila, just like the Mexican cocktail.
- 1 ½ cups (186 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 Tablespoons tequila
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 mL) buttermilk, room temperature
- 2-3 Tablespoons tequila, for brushing the cupcakes
Tequila Lime Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (300 g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons tequila
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice, to taste
- Pinch of coarse salt
For the Margarita Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly after each addition.
- Add the lime zest, lime juice, vanilla extract, and tequila. Mix just until combined and scrape down the bowl. (The batter may look curdled, and that’s okay).
- Reduce the mixer speed to low. Alternate adding the dry flour mixture and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients (add flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk). Mix just until incorporated (avoid overmixing).
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan at the halfway point. Cupcakes are done when they are slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with little to no crumbs.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with tequila. Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting them.
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!