Make up whatever excuse you need to make these delicious bars. I am positive that your mouth will be so happy you did 😀
This recipe is over the top delicious. This treat goes by many names, including “gooey butter cake” and “chess squares.
This recipe comes from the queen of all things delicious and Southern – Paula Deen. If you have ever seen her show, looked at any of her recipes, or know anything about the woman, you know that she loves all things fattening, especially butter. With two sticks of butter and an entire box of powdered sugar, I cannot lie and tell you this is a healthy dessert that will make you look super hot in your bikini. To be honest, your bikini may hate you. But your mouth will love you so so much. And everything’s good in moderation – including (especially) chess squares – right?
Easy and Delicious Chess Squares
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 16 ounce box of powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 glass dish with non-stick spray.
2. Using a stand mixer or a handheld mixer, combine cake mix, 1 stick of unsalted butter, and 1 egg on low speed. This will be the consistency of cookie dough. (One roommate referred to it as “play doh”…not very appetizing, but a good description) Using a rubber spatula, press this mixture into the prepared dish.
3. In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese on medium speed until it is smooth, about 1 minute. Add 2 eggs, 1 stick of unsalted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully incorporated, about 2 minutes.
4. Add half of the box of powdered sugar, mix on low speed until all of the sugar is incorporated. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix. Remember to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat on medium speed for about a minute until the mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Pour this mixture on to the cake base layer. Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes. The cake is finished when the top is a light brown color and the crust has cracked. Cool, slice, and enjoy!
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!