A recipe from my grandma’s pastry kitchen is this coconut cake. It also fits wonderfully as a birthday cake.
Creamy & Delicious Coconut Cake
A recipe from my grandma's pastry kitchen is this coconut cake. It also fits wonderfully as a birthday cake.
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
for the dough:
- 6 pcs eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 280 g flour (plain)
- 1 pk baking powder
- 2 pk vanilla sugar
for the cream:
- 70 g coconut flakes
- 1 pk pudding powder (vanilla)
- 0.5 l milk
- 1 pk vanilla sugar
- 200 g butter
- 40 g sugar
for the finishing:
- 150 g coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees top/bottom heat and brush a 26 cm Ø cake pan with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- In a food processor, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the sugar and vanilla sugar while stirring and mix.
- Finally, mix flour with baking powder and stir into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan, smooth it out and bake for 25 minutes until golden. When doing this, check the cake with a chopstick.
- Remove the cake from the oven, turn it out and let it cool. Then remove the pan and cut 2x horizontally.
- For the cream: Mix the custard powder with part of the milk and sugar. Then bring the remaining milk to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the mixed pudding powder, heat and bring to the boil. Now let the pudding cool down well.
- In the meantime, cream the soft butter with the vanilla sugar and the coconut flakes. Once the pudding mixture is at the same temperature as the butter mixture, gently mix the two together.
- To finish: spread half of the coconut cream on the cake layer. Cover with the 2nd lid and spread again with 1/4 of the cream.
- Now top with the 3rd piece and spread the rest of the cream all around the cake. Sprinkle the top with coconut flake crumble.