Here’s a fresh take on those deliciously soft and moist date cakes soaked in a sticky toffee sauce and dolloped with whipped cream. Let’s break down the process!
- 2 ounces Medjool dates (around 3-4 dates)
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (around 14-28g), based on your sweetness preference
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup flour (about 43g)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Toffee sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- Plain whipped cream or ice cream
- Pour the boiling water over the dates in a small bowl, add baking soda, and cover it to soak for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously coat 2 ramekins with butter.
- Blend the soaked dates and water into a paste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the butter with the sugar and vanilla until it turns light, creamy, and fluffy (for about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the egg yolk and whisk to combine.
- Gently fold in the date paste.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins and spread it out.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- While the cakes are baking, let's whip up the toffee sauce. Put all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and place it on the stove at the lowest heat. Stir and cook for roughly 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
Assembly & serving:
- After the cakes are done baking, poke holes in them using a toothpick.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of toffee sauce over each cake, letting it soak in.
- Flip the cakes onto plates, serve with extra sauce, and pair them with plain, unsweetened whipped cream.
- Ready to enjoy!
Welcome to Mariasskitchen.com! I’m Maria Tarrant, the proud owner and passionate curator of this website. As an avid lover of all things dessert, baking, and traveling, I’ve combined my passions to create a platform where I can share my culinary adventures and inspirations with you. From decadent cakes to scrumptious cookies, this website is a haven for dessert enthusiasts looking to explore the sweet side of life.
Join me on this delectable journey as I whip up mouthwatering recipes, offer baking tips and tricks, and take you along on my exciting travel escapades, discovering flavors from around the world. MariasSkitchen.com is a place where I pour my heart and soul into each post, hoping to ignite your own culinary passions and create unforgettable memories. So, grab a spoon, pack your bags, and let’s embark on this extraordinary adventure together!